Saturday, May 21, 2011

Florence City Tour- Piazza della Signoria (Day 4)-Part 3

After Ponte Vecchio, our tour group came to the Palazzo Vecchio ("Old Palace") which is the town hall of the city. This massive, Romanesque, crenellated fortress-palace is among the most impressive town halls of Tuscany. Overlooking the square with its copy of Michelangelo's David statue as well the gallery of statues in the adjacent Loggia dei Lanzi, it is one of the most significant public places in Italy, and it host cultural points and museums.


Next, we moved onto the Loggia dei Lanzi gallery on the edge of the Piazza della Signoria. Here all the legendary heros came alive! We took photos and photos of these statues. I could recognize only a few of these legendary figures from the story books I read during primary school days. I could no longer knew whether they are Greece, Italian folklore, nevertheless indulging in such historic perspective at this beautiful town on this great day is simply a luxury of life:

The tour manager gave our tour group time for “Free and Easy” at Piazza della Signoria, which is an L-shaped square in front of the Palazzo Vecchio.
I can tell you that the mood and atmosphere at Piazza della Signoria is simply overwhelming and beautiful! There were so many majestic sights to behold, the weather was simply cool and great and our cameras went clicking and clicking away!
First, the statue of David,  my wife and I's favorite:

My wife joked that I looked like him! Yeah, I would like to be like David, as handsome, as wise, as muscular, as clever, as brave as him!



If you are interested to find out more about the statues, I have embedded this Wiki link for your reference.